Billy Jack Talton
Women's Hall of Fame - 2006
Professor Emeritus, Louisiana Tech University, Retired 2001
(activities involving women indicated in italics)
Professor of Health and Physical Education, 1974 - 2001 Louisiana Tech University
Professional Duties - Department Chairman for 9 faculty and 7 graduate assistants in the Department of Health and Physical Education at Louisiana Tech University(Louisiana Tech Enrollment - 10,000)
- Ed.D. Northwestern State University 1972
- M.S. Louisiana Tech University 1964
- B.S. Louisiana Tech University 1962
- Louisiana Tech University-Powerlifting Coach 1974-01
- Cedar Creek School - Head Football Coach 1972-74
- Northwestern State University-Grad Assist-Football 1970-71
- Captain Shreve High School Defensive Coordinator.-FB 1967-70
- Bastrop Senior High School-Assist Football Coach 1962-67
- 1965-79 Competed in the Open Division of the 220 lb weight class
- 1979 -1982 an AAU National Powerlifting Official
- 1982 an IPF International Category II Official (current)
- 1995 International Category II Powerlifting Official Sport Section for the Disabled (current)
- 1999 - International Category II Powerlifting Official for the Special Olympics (current)
- 2003-2005, Bench America (Professional)
High School, Collegiate, State, National and International Powerlifting Meets
- Officiated in three (3) National Collegiate Championships/National High School Championships
- Officiated in eleven (11) Senior National Powerlifting Championships
- 1982 USPF Senior Nationals, Dayton, OH
- 1983 USPF Senior Nationals, Austin, TX
- 1985 USPF Senior Nationals, Chicago, IL
- 1985 USPF High School Nationals, West Monroe, LA
- 1986 USPF Senior Nationals, Chicago, IL
- 1987 USPF Senior Nationals, Chicago, IL
- 1988 USPF Senior Nationals, Las Vegas, NV
- 1990 USPF High School Nationals, Irving, TX
- 1991 USPF National Collegiate, Irving, TX
- 1991 USPF Senior Nationals, Dallas, TX
- 1992 USPF Senior Nationals, Raleigh, NC
- 1993 IPF Championship of the Americas, Rockville, MD (International Meet)
- 1994 USPF Senior Nationals, Houston, TX
- 1995 USPF Senior Nationals, Baton Rouge, LA
- 1995 USPF Junior Nationals - Philadelphia, PA
- 1995 National Amputee and Wheelchair Championships, Boston, MA
- 1996 USPF High School Nationals, St. Amant, LA
- 1996 USPF Senior Nationals, Philadelphia, PA
- 1996 Paralympics World Games, Atlanta, GA
- 1997 USPF Senior Nationals, Philadelphia, PA
- 1997 USA Open Powerlifting Championship for the Disabled - Fairfax, VA.
- 1998 IPF Junior Worlds - Gyor, Hungary
- 1998 USA - Open Championships for Disabled Athletes, Fairfax, VA.
- 1999 IPC Special Olympic World Games, Raleigh, NC
- 2000 IPC Worldqualifier for Disabled Athletes, Miami, FL
- 2000 IPC Senior Nationals, Chicago, IL
- 2003 USA Teenage Jr. Nationals, St. Louis, MO
- 2003 Bench America 1, Chicago, IL
- 2004 USA Women's Nationals, Omaha, NE
- 2004 USA Collegiate Nationals, Omaha, NE
- 2004 USA Men's Nationals, Baton Rouge, LA
- 2004 Bench America World, Chicago, IL
- 2005 USA National Collegiates, Baton Rouge, LA
- 2005 USA Men's Nationals, Killeen, TX
- 2005 USA Teenage Jr. Nationals, Killeen, TX
- 2005 CP-ISRA World Championships, New London, CT
- 2005 Bench America II, Chicago, IL
- 1981-1995 National Collegiate Chairman of the USPF
- 1981-1996 Has attended the annual business meetings of the U.S.P.F. held in conjunction with the national meet
- 1983-2001 IPF Category II Official (current)
- 1984-2001 Northern Division Chairman of the Louisiana High School Powerlifting Association
- 1996-2001 USA Powerlift Collegiate Committee Member
- 1996-2001 Paralympic Official - International Paralympic Committee Referee Category II (current)
- 1999-2001 IPF Category II Official for the Special Olympics
- 1978 Director of the AAU National Collegiate Championship
- 1979 Director of the Regional IX Collegiate Championship
- 1979-2001 Director of twenty-three (23) annual High School Invitational Meets at Louisiana Tech
- 1977-2001 Director of 32 Collegiate Duel/Triangular Meets
- 1983-1991 Director of 7 annual Louisiana Tech Intramural Powerlifting Meets
- 1994 Director of Peach Festival Bench Press and Powerlifting Meet
- 2000 USPF - Louisiana Intercollegiate Powerlifting Association Rookie Meet
Powerlift Coaching at Louisiana Tech University
- 1975-2001 Louisiana Tech Powerlifting Coach for Men and Women (27 years)
- 1985, 1986, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 - Collegiate Powerlifting Coach of the Year
- 1994 - Inducted into the Louisiana High School Powerlifting Hall of Fame
- 1996 - Officiated powerlifting in the 1996 Paralympic Games in Atlanta, GA in August
- 1999 - U.S.A. Powerlifting Federation - 1st Annual Coach of the Year - St. Louis, MO
- 2000 - Louisiana High School Powerlifting Federation Recognition Award - Founder of Louisiana High School Powerlifting, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
TOTAL OF TWENTY -TWO NATIONAL COLLEGIATE POWERLIFTING CHAMPIONSHIPS - AAU - USPF - ADFPA - USA
Men's Division - 1978 (AAU) - 1985 (USPF)- 1986 (USPF)- 1994 (USPF)- 1995 (USPF)- 1996 (ADFPA) -
(11 total) 1997 (ADFPA) - 1998 (USAPL) - 1999 (USAPL) - 2000 (USAPL) - 2001 (USAPL)
Women's Division 1984 (USPF)- 1985 (USPF)- 1986 (USPF)- 1994 (USPF)- 1995 (USPF)- 1996 (ADFPA) -
(11 TOTAL) 1997 (ADFPA) - 1998 (USAPL) - 1999 (USAPL) - 2000 (USAPL) - 2001 (USAPL)
Important Events Enacted During Tenure as USPF Collegiate Chairman Affecting Collegiate Powerlifting
- 1981-Annual Certificates were awarded to the winners of both men's and women's divisions recognizing them as:
1st - Team Collegiate all-American-All first places
2nd - Team Collegiate All-American-All second places
3rd - Team Collegiate All-American-All third places
Honorable Mention Collegiate All-American-All fourth and fifth places
- 1981 - present - Added the women's division to the annual USPF National Collegiate Championship Meet.
- 1984 - present - The USPF collegiate committee agreed to provide a trophy to the college Coach-of-the-Year as determined by the coach team or teams (men and women) who score the most combined points in the national championships.
- 1984 - The USPF collegiate committee agreed to provide a trophy to the college with the most total points generated by one college's men's and women's team in the national collegiates.
- 1986-1995 - Random drug testing of lifters in each of men's and women's divisions of USPF Collegiate Nationals.
Tech Lifters in International Competition
- 1985 - 1ST Tech male to compete in IPF Worlds - Sydney, Australia
- 1991 - Tech man in IPF Worlds - Ivory Coast, Africa
- 1992 - Two La Tech Women and Three La Tech men on the U.S.P.F. Junior World Team - Sydney, Australia
- 1995 - Two La Tech Women and one man on the U.S.P.F. Junior World Team, New Delhi, India (July-1995)
- 1998 - Four La Tech Women on USAPL Junior World Team, Budapest, Hungary (Sept, 1998)
- 1999 - Four La Tech lifters - two women and two men on the USAPL Junior World Team, Prague, Czechia (Oct-1999)
- 2000 - Four La Tech lifters - two women and two men on the USAPL Junior Worlds Team, Chia Yi, Taiwan
2001, Journal of Psychology Type. (In-press). "Psychological Type of University Powerlifters", Tobacyk, J., Hilgenkamp, K., Talton, B.J., & Livingston, M.M.
1997, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 29,5, "Relationship of Resistance Training Experience to Left Ventricular Dimensions in Female Weightlifters", Washam, C., Thomas, L., & Talton, B.J.
1996, Perceptual and Motor Skills, 83,859-866, "Changes in Scores on the Profile of Mood States Following A Single Bout of Physical Activity: Heart Rate and Changes in Affect", McGowan, R.W., Talton, B.J., & Thompson, M.
June, 1995, Powerlifting U.S.A., USPF National Collegiates, Vol 18, No 11, p 20 & 21, Talton, B.J.
May, 1994, Powerlifting U.S.A., USPF National Collegiates, Vol 17, No 10, P 6 & 7, Talton, B.J.
May, 1990, Perceptual and Motor Skills, "Attentional Style and Powerlifting Performance", Vol 70, p 1253-1257, McGowan, R.W., Talton, B.J., & Tobacyk, J.
September, 1989, Powerlifting U.S.A., "The Calm Before the Storm", Vol 13, No 2, p 19, Talton, B.J.
April, 1988. Powerlifting U.S.A., "Psychological Testing and Powerlifting", Vol 11, No 9, p 37, Talton, B.J. & McGowan, R.W.
February, 1987, Scholastic Coach, "Introducing Co-Educational Powerlifting into the College Physical Education Curriculum", Talton, B.J.
Fall, 1986, Louisiana Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, "Powerlifting - A New Sport for Women", Talton, B.J.
February 9, 2001, Southern District, AAHPERD Convention, Birmingham, AL, "Mood State Profiles of Elite Female Collegiate Powerlifters," Talton, B.J. & LaBorde, C.
March, 2000, Southeastern Psychological Association Convention, New Orleans, LA, "Psychological Type of Elite
College Powerlifters," Tobacyk, J., Hilgenkamp, K., Talton, B.
May, 1997, Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine, "Relationship of Resistance Training
Experience to Left Ventricular Dimensions in Female Powerlifters." Washam, C., & Talton, B.
November, 1996, LAHPERD Convention, Shreveport, Louisiana, "Get Fit Through Powerlifting".
November, 1995 - LAHPERD Convention, "A Strength Model to Develop Maximum Strength for Female High
School and Collegiate Powerlifters".
February, 1993, Southern District, AAHPERD Convention, Dallas, Texas, "Collegiate Women in Karate and
Powerlifting Sports Club Programs", Talton, B.J. & Jordan, D.
November, 1990, State Convention, LAHPERD, Lafayette, Louisiana, "Twelve Week Program to Develop
Maximal Strength in Female Students"
February, 1989, Southern District, AAHPERD, Chattanooga, Tennessee, "Performance and Mood Status: A
Function of Time", McGowan, R.W. & Talton, B.J.
April, 1988, State Convention LAHPERD, New Orleans, Louisiana, "Mood States and Powerlifting",
Talton, B.J. & McGowan, R.W.
April, 1987, American Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Las Vegas, Nevada,
"Unity through Strength Fitness", Division of Girl's and Women in Sport
Billy Jack's Photo Gallery
Click on each thumbnail pic to view image at a larger size.
2006 USAPL Women's Hall of Fame Sponsors
The Women's Hall of Fame Committee would like to thank those who sponsored Bettina's induction to the Women's Hall of Fame. Each of the sponsors below played an important part of helping with the induction ceremony held at the USAPL Women's Nationals in Denver, Co, February 10, 2006.
- Quest Nutrition
- Robert Keller
- Titan Support Systems
Back to Top